TIP: 10 Cool Free Linux Applications
- Firefox - Quick and Secure Web Browser
- Camino – A Mac-styled browser, built on the Firefox engine.
- Safari – The default browser included with OS X, with a bunch of new features in the latest release.
- Opera – A powerful browser with a few new interesting features; speed dial, search shortcuts, and a tab trash can.
- Omniweb – Taking a different approach, and assisting you with online research
- QLab – Live Media Timelines for MAC OS X.
- UltraMixer – Professional Digital DJ Solution to Mix Digital Music in Various Formats.
- ToolPlayer – Simple Music Player for OS X that Supports FLAC, MP3, Apple Lossless, AIFF, WAV, etc
- SimpleSynth – Plug MIDI Keyboard and Play with SimpleSynth
- Spotify – Spotify allows you to stream almost any song you can imagine via the internet. Access is free, though you’ll need to listen to a short advertisement every few songs.
- Songbird – A non-proprietary,Cross Platform, extensible tool with a great interface
- iTunes – The de-facto music player for OS X, Windows and iPod users
- Audion 3 – Now discontinued, but worth checking out
- Juice – A quality app for browsing and downloading podcasts
- Audacity – For editing and converting audio files
Email, Chat and RSS
- Thunderbird – Email Application to Help You Organize, Secure and Customize Your Mail
- Adium – Free Universal Instant Messaging Application for Mac
- Microsoft Messenger – MSN Messenger Client for Mac
- Skype – Application for Phone Call over Internet.
- Colloquy – Advanced IRC, SILC and ICB Client
- Hab.la – Live Chat Application with Website’s Visitors
- NewsFire – A stylish RSS reader
- Vienna – Providing features comparable to commercial newsreaders for free.
- Shrook - A next-generation news reader
- RSSOwl – Filtering, labels and completely cross platform
- Dashboard RSS Reader – Keep RSS information easily accessible via Dashboard
- TweetDeck - Multi paned browsing, and very popular
- Twitteriffic – The classic Twitter client, with a great UI
- Twhirl – Friendly, colorful, and great multiple account support.
- EventBox – For Twitter, and a bunch of other social media networks
- Tweetr – Easy file sharing and webcam support
- VLC Media Player – Cross-Platform Multimedia Player
- RealPlayer – Mac OS X Version of RealPlayer
- Flash Player – Flash Player for Your Mac
- ooVoo – Free Video Chat and Video Conferencing
- Jing – Instantly Captures Images and Records Video
- FrameByFrame – Stop Motion Movie Creator for Mac
- AutoRate – iTunes Rating Made Easy
- Miro - Aiming to provide easily accessible, fully intergrated internet video
- Flip4Mac WMV – For enabling WMV videos in QuickTime
- Handbrake – The ultimate tool for converting video between formats
- Perian - An open source QuickTime component that adds native support for many popular video formats.
- DivX Player – A simple, free player for DivX files.
- iPhoto – The in-built photo app on OS X, with face recognition and geo-tagging support.
- Gimp – A free, cross platform photo editor.
- Seashore – Built on GIMP, with a slightly different user interface
- Flickr Uploader – A simple and free solution for uploading Flickr photos
- JetPhoto – Feature-rich and easy-to-use digital photo software.
- Picasa – Picasa is designed and owned by Google. It offers a bunch of great features, and is also capable of sharing the photo online.
FTP & File Sharing
- Cyberduck - A free alternative to commercial FTP applications
- Filezilla – Great for accessing FTP servers, and completely cross-platform
- Acquisition – In-built torrent searching and integration with iTunes.
- Tomato Torrent - A slightly dated but perfectly functional torrent manager
- Classic FTP -Easy to Use FTP Client
Office & Text Editor
- TextWrangler – A great, free, code editor for OS X
- Bean – A small, easy-to-use rich text processor
- AbiWord – A full featured, open source alternative to Open Office
- Smultron – Good looking, and great for web programming, script editing, making a to do list etc.
- jEdit – Aimed at technical users, an editor specifically for programming
- OpenOffice – OpenOffice is a worthy alternative to Microsoft Office, and comes at a far more attractive price
- Growl – A great system-wide notification system
- Disk Inventory X – For viewing a graphical representation of what’s eating up your hard drive
- AppCleaner – Allows you to remove any trace of an application
- Smart Reporter – Be notified if your hard drive seems likely to fail
- FuzzyClock – A fun and slightly less formal way to display the time in your menu bar.
- Quicksilver – Quicksilver is a powerful shortcut tool, which allows you to manipulate files and work with applications – all without needing to open them.
- Paparazzi – Utility for Mac OS X to Make Screenshots of Webpages
- Linotype FontExplorer X -Font Management Application
- iStat Pro – Highly Configurable Mac OS X Widget that Helps You Monitor Your System
- Deeper – Personalization Utility for Mac OS X which Reveals Hidden Settings
- MacLoc – Log Out from System without Closing Applications
- OnyX – Multifunction Utility for Maintenance, Optimization and Personalization of Your System
- Loginox – Application for Easier Customization of Login Screen
- Mactracker – Mactracker Provides Detailed Information on Every Apple, Motorola, PowerComputing, and UMAX Mac OS Computers
- SuperDocker – Little Application to Help You Modify Your Dock, Dashboard or Safari Loading Bar’s Appearance with Simple Drag & Drop
- AppCleaner – Small Application to Allow You Thoroughly Uninstall Unwanted Apps
- AppFresh - Application to Keep All Applications Up-To-Date
- Carbon Copy Cloner - Clone, Synchronize and Backup Your Files
- SpotInside – Search and Look Inside Documents
- Transmission – Multi-Platform BitTorrent Client
- Vuze – The Reigning Heavy-Weight BitTorrent Client[VIA]