1. There are millions of people who access the web from a mobile device such as a smartphone or a tablet. In a report conducted by Nielsen in the beginning of 2011, they discovered that there were over 83 million users accessing the Internet from a mobile device. The number of people accessing the web from their mobile devices instead of a desktop or laptop computer is only on the rise now.
2. Smartphones are selling at a faster rate than traditional computers. The number of sales for smartphones is rising faster than the sale of desktop or laptop computers. The market is going towards the mobile market.
3. A site geared towards mobile devices works for all devices. Every device has a browser of some type to access the Internet including Androids, iPhones and Blackberries. Some developers or site owners would prefer to release an app, but an app will not work on all devices. A different version of the app needs to be released for each platform. This takes time and additional resources. A streamlined approach is much more economical.
4. You will get more traffic by making it possible to access your website without issues from a mobile device. Users will opt not to visit sites that aren’t compatible with their devices.
5. Mobile access is only going to increase as time goes on. Technology is improving every year and, as the owner of a website large or small, it is your responsibility to ensure that you can reach as many people as possible. You need to cater to the majority of users.
6. Your website may not be as accessible on a mobile device as it is on a traditional computer. Smartphone users will get frustrated and stop visiting your website if they experience problems constantly on your site. A site needs to make sure that all functions and subpages are accessible.
7. Millions of people check their email on a regular basis from their phones. If you have links included in emails that you send out, including newsletters, mobile users will want to be able to view the link directly from their device without being required to go to a computer. Customers will be more likely to visit links if they have immediate access.
8. Going mobile ensures that you are able to keep up with the competition. Even if you aren’t going to create mobile website version of your site, others will. Web users will visit your competitor’s websites if they work better on their phones or tablets.
Be smart and compete with others on the Internet by creating an accessible version of your website. The future is headed towards utilizing a mobile website in addition to the website you create for visitors from desktop or laptop computers.